STUDY ABROAD IN JAPAN
June 16 – July 15, 2023 (4 weeks)
Our summer study abroad program in Japan “Biocultural Landscapes of Japan” is based in the Ishikawa Prefecture. Students explore the food cultures and systems of contemporary Japan through interdisciplinary, and multisensory learning experiences.
During this program, you will participate in Weekly Colloquia with local leaders and Weekly Practicum in Ishikawa Prefecture and various locations including Kanazawa and Suzu Cities, Noto Peninsula.
The program includes a colloquia series with a focus on the above themes as well as nutrition in Japan and includes, among others:
- Depopulation and a new role for regional universities
- – Koji Nakamura (Professor Emeritus, Kanazawa University and the Natural History Museum of Ishikawa Prefecture)
- Satoyama Iniative: Overview and Scope
- – TBD (Operating Unit Ishikawa Kanazawa, The United Nations University for the Advanced Study of Sustainability)
- – Naoki Kikuchi (Kanazawa University)
- The Uses of “Geopark” for Regional Development
- – Masuhiro, Izumiya, Mayor, Depopulation, The Key Challenge Facing Suzu City
- Alumni from Kanazawa University, Noto Satoyama Satoumi SDG’s Meister Program
- What I Learned when I Moved here as a Farmer.
You will also learn basic culinary techniques through intensive cooking sessions, and they broaden and deepen their culinary experience by critically engaging in the culture and politics of sustainability in seminar sessions.
Get notified when applications open.
Click on the button below to sign up for updates