Thematic Short Programs
We have two types of study tours:
- thematic trips which last from 3 hours to an entire day. These tours are aimed at providing information about a specific product. Students deepen their knowledge about the chosen product while in the classroom and then enhance their understanding of it outside the classroom by personally seeing the production chain of that individual product.
- tours of the territory which last 2 to 15 days. The objective is to provide the student with a cultural and gastronomic understanding of how the product is connected to the territory or the region and at the same time recount the history and the culture of ingredients.
Sample tours we have designed and organized in the past:
- 2-3 days discovering the Mediterranean diet (in Cilento or in Puglia)
- 7 days in Italy’s South from Campania to Sicilia
- 4 days of music and food, “Giuseppe Verdi, his food and his land (in the Emilia Romagna region)
- 4 days of food and traditions in Calabria
We have designed, organized and managed various short thematic term programs (spring break, summer term, etc). The program is customized according to the needs of the collaborating or partnering faculty member, the department or the study abroad office.
An example is the Auburn University short summer program on the Mediterranean diet. The program is open only to students from Auburn University and is designed, promoted and managed by the GLi and Auburn University. Language Courses provider: Scuola Leonardo da Vinci Rome. Program supervisors are the GLi Academic Advisor and Dr. Michael Greene, Assistant Professor of Nutrition, College of Human Sciences, Auburn University and Faculty leader for the program on the Mediterranean Diet.
During this program, students learn about the health benefits associated with consumption of the Mediterranean Diet and be provided an opportunity to participate in a field based learning experience on the Mediterranean Diet in Italy. Learn more here or on the Auburn Office of International Programs page.
Are you interested in learning how we can collaborate or design a customized program for your students? Get in touch.
SITE VISITS AND DEMO PROGRAMS
GLi welcomes inquiries about our customized and direct enroll programs. We also welcome visitors to our programs in Italy. Please let us know if you would like to visit us and to sit in on a class or field trip. Also let us know if you would like detailed descriptions of current or past courses. To arrange a site visit, contact us with dates and the number of people in your party.