Eligibility & Application
Are you interested in studying or interning abroad with Gustolab International? Learn about the steps involved in applying. Please note that for our Japan and Vietnam programs, conditions and processes may vary.
DIRECT ENROLL PROGRAMS
What is a direct enroll program?
A direct enroll program means that you fill out an application directly with Gustolab International to attend an onsite or virtual program. Throughout the application process, you will interact directly with Gustolab International to apply, make payments, confirm travel arrangements, and complete enrollment materials. Gustolab International may administer additional enrollment steps, depending on the needs of each student.
What is an onsite program?
An onsite program is held in person at one of our locations. We currently have onsite programs in Italy (Spring, Summer and Fall), Japan (Summer) and Vietnam (Summer).
What is a virtual program?
In light of COVID-19, we have adapted many of our courses and Academic internships for virtual delivery.
Who can apply
We welcome applications from university students (both undergraduate and graduate) and independent scholars or professionals from all fields of study.
Eligibility for students enrolled at an academic institution
Gustolab International requires a 2.5 GPA, and a good academic and social standing at your home university. We advise that you talk with your advisor regarding studying abroad and credit recognition. Please contact us if you have any questions.
For our academic internships, only Juniors, Seniors, and Graduate students can apply. If you are a Freshman or Sophomore and would like to petition to apply, please contact us.
You will have the opportunity to speak with a member of GLi’s staff to find courses & internship placements that best match your academic and personal goals.
We require all applicants to fill out
- An application form that includes the submission of a letter specifying academic and personal goals. There is no application fee.
- Applicants interested in an academic internship will also need to submit a resume (CV) and 1-2 reference forms.
- If you are a student enrolled at an academic institution you will be required to submit a form that is related to your standing at your university and transfer of credits (if applicable). We will provide the form.
- You will be required to submit a wellness and housing form for our onsite programs.
We will conduct a brief online interview with applicants interested in onsite academic internships to understand needs and expectations.
Recommended deadlines are:
- February 15 for Summer applications
- March 15 for Fall applications
- October 15 for Spring applications
You will find updated and extended deadlines on the program pages.
Applicants are encouraged to apply by the recommended deadline, as there are several advantages to doing so including receipt of an admissions decision early enough to allow for sufficient travel planning time to save on airline tickets, and sufficient visa processing time for international students.
Once you are admitted into our programs, you will be asked to commit by paying a non-refundable deposit and submitting additional documentation such as:
- a waiver
- proof of insurance. Learn more
What happens after I commit?
We will start working with you to plan your travel to your onsite location. This includes
- Visa planning, if necessary. Learn more
- Travel planning
- Providing placement options for applicants interested in onsite academic internships
- Predeparture orientation
- Finalizing your payment. Learn more
Contact us if you do not fulfill the requirements listed above or need an extended application deadline.
CUSTOMIZED FIELD SCHOOLS
If you are a student attending one of the following universities below, there is a separate application procedure in place for you directly through your university. Please get in touch with your study abroad office or contact us.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Fall, Summer or Spring Programs in Rome with Gustolab International
- University of Illinois GIES School of Business Spring Break program with Gustolab International
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges Fall or Spring program in Rome with Gustolab International
- Auburn University Mediterranean Diet Short summer program with Gustolab International