Gustolab International Food Systems and Sustainability (GLi) is the first center of study and research in Italy dedicated to academic programs on the theme of Food Studies. GLi is the academic headquarters for Study abroad programs specific in Food, Media and Nutrition for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
GLi’s programs and courses focus on food themes and promote critical thinking, trans-disciplinary and multicultural knowledge acquisition through field research that incorporates ethnographic analysis and interactions with communities and visits to territories that are vital for food production and food culture in Italy. Students emerge with skills and training that can be implemented in their future studies and careers (the future experts of food systems and sustainability).
- GLi is the first center in Italy dedicated to Food Studies programs abroad
- GLi has more than 10 years of experience
- GLi has worked with 14 universities
- GLi has hosted over 650 students in its academic programs (faculty-led, open programs, custom programs)
- GLi has hosted over 350 students in food study tours (undergraduate, graduate and alumni)
- GLi has designed and managed 25 Faculty-led programs
- GLi has hosted students from 25 different universities (from four different countries) in its open Summer Program entitled ‘Critical Studies on Food in Italy’
- GLi’s Critical Studies on Food in Italy summer program received its first Educational Project patronage from the Milan Expo 2015
- GLi has worked with academic institutions from five geographic areas and three continents: US, CANADA, FRANCE, ITALY, VIETNAM and JAPAN
- Over 100 Italian students have been involved in projects with GLi students (students from Università di Roma Tre, Università La Sapienza and ISIA Design School)
- Since 2015, GLi has offered more than 25 internship positions in Italy for students
- GLi’s headquarters is in Rome, and our programs and internships take place all over Italy
- Given the success of the summer program format, we have also expanded it to programs in Vietnam and Japan
- Our students can work and collaborate with Italian students thanks to an academic collaboration with Università di Roma Tre, Università La Sapienza and ISIA Design School